Monday, February 6, 2017

GATSBY CHAPTER 4

The "truth" Gatsby tells Nick was that he attended Oxford. He said it hurriedly and the way Nick describes Gatsby telling him that makes me think Gatsby is lying. Then Gatsby pulls out a picture of him and his Oxford buddies. Since he had proof, that makes me think he's telling the truth. Gatsby goes on to say that he lived many places and attended the war in hopes he would die. I'm not sure if he's telling the truth about that- why would someone openly tell that to someone who is not that close to you?

Jordan's "truth" was about how she met Daisy and how Gatsby has met Daisy before when she was 18. She goes on by telling the story of Daisy's wedding and how angry she was at her husband. She tells Nick that Daisy asked her about Gatsby the other night after the dinner. Jordan tells Nick that Gatsby wants to meet with Daisy and threw those parties because he was hoping she would show up. The reason why Gatsby wanted to talk to Jordan is because he wants Nick to invite Daisy to tea.

I am not going to believe Gatsby, yet. He's still a mysterious character and I'm not sure if I fully trust him. I'm just confused as to why he sounded like he was lying about the Oxford thing but then show Nick a picture.

Jordan is one of those people who listen to rumors and gossip. Most of the time rumors are changed every time it is told. I do believe that Gatsby talked to Jordan about Daisy that night at the party but I'm not sure how true the whole story she told Nick was.

No comments:

Post a Comment