Thursday, August 18, 2016

Response to "A Modest Proposal":what did I just read?!

I want to start of by saying, I thought this article was really disturbing. However as weird and twisted this may sound, I found and liked his way to capture his audience kind of genius! Before you think I'm an insane person, this is why I think so. He grabbed the reader's attention by saying the most unexpected thing.  Yes, the whole article as about how the Irish should eat babies and sell them in markets in order to solve the over population problem. However, do you really think he would actually want to do that? The thing is, no sane person would actually do that. Before you take that into account, and unless you're a cannibal which is rare, you would be in total shock like I was!  It was creepy how he was explaining everything so calmly and stating scandalous things like how much babies people should eat, but that's just it! That's the element of satire he was using that caught the audience's attention and want to continue reading. If he didn't use satire and just talked about Ireland's problems, no one would read it. I mean why would everyone read about politics, which most people consider boring? He used satire as an advantage and caught people's attention to get his message across which was Ireland needs a lot of changes. No one uses satire anymore because now, people don't think critically and get offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment