Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Satire in Pop Culture

I think Satire is a use of comedy that exposes someone's foolishness or makes fun of a situation.

https://youtu.be/KKC5jjFkfgo
 A source that I think is satire is a show that my dad and I watch called Seinfeld. The show contains really random things which a group of four friends living in New York do.  I think Seinfeld uses stereotypes as satire. For example, George is the guy who has trouble with women and can't get a job, Kramer is the weird  one in the group who has no job but still manages to make money and borrow stuff without returning it, and Jerry and Elaine are casually unconcerned.

https://youtu.be/YLoV9xS9rxk?t=2m30s
Another show that contains satire is The Simpsons. For example in an episode, Lisa and Homer where having a conversation in which Lisa tells homer that she is going to be a vegetarian. Homer asks Lisa if she was ever going to eat from an animal again and starts listing foods including pork chops and ham. Homer said they are from the same animal, which they art. You would think the father would teach the child but instead the child is teaching the father. 

https://youtu.be/2Lb2BiUC898?t=1m44s
My sister and I love music and a band we like called Fall Out Boy had a music video that caught my eye. I did my research and saw they decided to use spoof  and remake NSYNC's "It's Gonna Be Me" music video in their music video "Irresistible". Their music video was a satire take on the NSYNC music video where Nsync dolls where being sent to a shop and the FOB ones where tossed as rejects. Somehow they made it to the shop and they broke out of their boxes to form a mini band just as the original video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment